Neeley Koester is an talented pottery sculptor who is using entrepreneurial skills to bypass traditional gatekeepers and to get her art out into the world. There are so many parallels between artists and entrepreneurs. I believe at the core they’re both the same — risk takers and creators who simply express those traits in different ways. Neeley is at the beginning of her story – but there’s a lot you can learn from her path.
In this episode, you will learn about:
- how she got into pottery and made a the decision to be an artist
- the many links between artists and entrepreneurs
- how she is using entrepreneurial skills to bypass traditional gatekeepers
- the difficulties in starting from scratch in a new town
- her transformation away from being a wallflower
- how being open and transparent got her a free, private coaching session from some of the most successful people at Mastermind Talks
- the powerful talk that resonated with her and has helped to drive her forward
- what it’s like to be an artist in a room of entrepreneurs and some of the benefits of that
- the difficulty of a piece of yourself (your art) out in the world to be judged
- the joy of a “happy accident”
- how undervaluing art is undervaluing ourselves
- Neeley Studios – http://www.neeleystudios.com
- Neeley on Instagram – http://instagram.com/neeleystudios
- Mastermind Talks – http://www.mastermindtalks.com
- Renee Airya’s speech “Flip Your Flaws” – https://vimeo.com/102900151
- Dandapani – http://www.dandapani.org
- Joey Coleman’s Creative Live course – Turn Customers Into Fans in the First 100 Days (non-affiliate link)
- Clay Hebert’s Creative Live course – Kickstarter for Photographers & Filmmakers (non-affiliate link)
Neeley Koester makes artifacts. She is the owner and ceramic artist at Neeley Studios in Nashville, TN and specializes in wheel-thrown vessels, sculpture and raku firing. Her specialty (and love) is making decorative works that are unique and intricate.
These podcasts are only the beginning, hopefully leading to deeper conversations. In that vein, I’m going to try something new. I’m creating a group where I can post unreleased resources, share unique opportunities and interact with you on a more personal level. The key to me is interaction. To give us a way to learn from each other.
So – if this sounds fun to you, join our growing community.
Oh – and before this starts to sound like some slick sales shit – this is all free. All you need to bring is your time and attention.