Michael Masterson opens up in what is the most intimate conversation that I’ve done so far. In the past decade, he has become the finest clothing artisan that I know. We explore the roots of his passion and find that it is linked to the 17 years that he spent deeply involved in Electronic Music as an artist and DJ.
In this episode, you will learn about:
- what it was like to grow up in Minnesota and to feel
- why he embraced Punk music at an early age and joined a Punk band
- the turning point, in a basement in Detroit where he fell in love with and embraced electronic music
- how Detroit House and Techno kept it’s promise
- his genesis tale of learning to create fine clothing
- how he saved a room of vintage sewing machines from becoming boat anchors
- the link between his love of EM hardware and the machines he finesses today
- how creating clothing (and now surfing) has been part of great healing process
- how love and understanding is the ultimate rebellion
- the struggle for identity, especially that of an artist
- how epic failure used to be his greatest ally – and now it’s reflection
- the right people to have in your life – those who you trust and those who make it interesting
- evolving as an entrepreneur – how to continue to grow and yet remain true to your roots
- Masterson’s Shirts – http://www.mastersonsshirts.com
- Masterson on Instagram – http://instagram.com/mastersonshqmg
- Denim Bro Interview with Michael – http://www.denimbro.com/michael-masterson_topic408.html
- Techno & Detroit House
- The Brewery in LA (artist compound) – http://www.thebreweryartistlofts.com
Michael Masterson is one of the most interesting people I know. Like the most interesting of us, though, he remains in the shadows. Not a scrap of a bio is to be found among the interwebs — which is why I’m writing this now. Dance on, Michael, dance on.
These podcasts are only the beginning, hopefully leading to deeper conversations. In that vein, I’m going to try something new. I’m creating a group where I can post unreleased resources, share unique opportunities and interact with you on a more personal level. The key to me is interaction. To give us a way to learn from each other.
So – if this sounds fun to you, join our growing community.
Oh – and before this starts to sound like some slick sales shit – this is all free. All you need to bring is your time and attention.